In Quebec, many homes run on an oil-powered furnace for heating during the winter months. If you need to change your heating system, why should you install an electric heating system?
THE ADVANTAGES OF AN ELECTRIC HEATING SYSTEM
Whether you opt for an electric furnace, a heat pump or both, there are many advantages to installing an electric system.
- Ecological. Oil is not a sustainable source of energy and lends to the polluting of our planet. In Quebec, hydroelectricity is a renewable source of energy with a minimal impact on the environment.
- Space saver. An electric furnace takes up at least 50% less space than an oil furnace.
- No deliveries. With an oil furnace, you rely on regular, costly deliveries of oil. An electric heating system is self-sufficient.
- Heating, cooling and ventilation. A heat pump heats during winter, cools during the summer, and allows for year-round comfort. In addition, the air filter is easy to change, delivering better air quality.
- Uses the same air vents. An electric system uses the same ducts as your oil system. However, it is wise to get an inspection of your vents when you switch to be sure it is in good working order.
- It’s cheaper. Installing a heat pump or electric system will mean remarkable savings. Heat pumps run on very little electricity while delivering efficient heating. In essence, an electric heating system using a heat pump doesn’t create or generate heat but transfers air from outside to inside. Therefore, less energy is used, and you enjoy smaller utility bills. Depending on your system, you can save up to 50% on your heating bills.
- Silent. Inverter heat pumps generate very little noise. You will barely notice it’s running.
- Efficient. Heat pumps are efficient, even during freezing Quebec temperatures. An Inverter heat pump works efficiently at temperatures as low as -30°C, and the electric furnace compensates when it gets colder.
The efficiency of heating systems is measured by their co-efficiency performance (COP). COP is the ratio between consumed energy versus the energy or heat delivered. The higher the number, the more efficient the system.
For example, a COP with a rating of 3 means that three units of heat are delivered into the home for each unit of electricity consumed. In Quebec, the COP of heat pumps ranges between 1.4 and 3.3, depending on the outside temperature.
To help you compare, here are the co-efficiency ratings according to different heating systems:
- Oil 0.95
- High-Efficiency Gas System 0.95
- Electric Baseboards and Convections 1.00
- Pushed Air System 1.00
- Heat Pump (for temperatures as low as -8.3 °C) 2.30
- Heat Pump (for temperatures of 10 °C) 3.30
- Available grants. In order to encourage Quebec residents to convert their heating systems to renewable energy sources, there are grants available.
The Chauffez vert program offers up to $550 per unit in a building and up to $1275 for an individual house when converting your heating system from oil to a renewable energy system, such as electricity.
Additionally, when installing a heat pump, you receive financial aid from the Efficient heat pump program by Hydro-Québec. The grant varies according to the system’s efficiency in winter temperatures; $50 per thousand BTUs of heating at -8 °C.
The Rénoclimat program offers a grant for installing a heat pump while renovating to improve your home’s energy efficiency.
HOW DO YOU CONVERT YOUR OIL HEATING SYSTEM TO ELECTRIC?
To make the switch, make sure to work with an HVAC contractor who specializes in doing so. Your life will be completely simplified. For your conversion to be eligible for financial aid, the work must be done by a certified professional with the appropriate RBQ certifications.
Your air vents will be inspected, and multiple factors will be considered in order to recommend the appropriate and optimal heating system for your needs.
A specialist will uninstall the old furnace and oil tank, disposing of it responsibly.
If you do not already have one, the appropriate electric panel of 200 amps will be installed.
The heating system of your choice can then be installed.
Entreprises MST holds their RBQ license, as well as their CMEQ electricians’ license. In addition, each of their technicians also has their individual license for operating in their trade.
Are you looking to replace your oil heating system? Contact us for exceptional service and personalized advice. Our team is more than happy to help you select the best energy-efficient electric system for your individual needs.